TODAY’S HOME LEARNING: MATHS, ENGLISH, SPELLING TEST, SCIENCE, STILLING TIME
Starter: The game of Nim
Find someone to play this game of strategy with:
What you need:
- 21 small markers e.g. coins, cubes, dried pasta etc
What to do:
- To play the game, arrange the other markers in a single row.
- Taking turns, you and your child can pick up one, two, or three up at a time.
- The player to pick up the last one loses.
Once you have had a few games, can you work out a strategy so that you can win?
L.I. To recognise common factors.
MILD: Check to see if you have a factors activity set for you on Mathletics.
SPICY / HOT
Click below – if you need some hints click on ‘Getting Started.’ The clue is to remember to look for common factors!
Click on ‘Solution’ on the left hand-side for the answer.
Don’t forget to do your spelling test -practise any you didn’t know.
L.I. – To write a report.
Watch the video, then go to the activities.
L.L. – To write in the style of a non-fiction article
Read about three inventions which were discovered by accident here:
Once you have read this, watch this clip about another invention which was discovered by accident – the potato chip (or crisps as they are more commonly known in the UK):
(watch from the start up until 2:30 mins)
Imagine you are to write about the discovery of potato chips in a similar style to the article you read at the start of this session.
Write your version of the discovery of potato chips using the same format as this article, such as:
- selecting your main title
- using the sub-headings ‘The ‘Oops’ Moment’ and ‘The Details’ with a short description
- finally a sub-title for the discovery and a short explanation.
- Remember to read back through your work to check for spelling and punctuation.
L.I. – To work scientifically by recording learning.
This experiment will work equally well with washing up liquid.